Sunday, August 19, 2007

Stardust (2007) (nat)

Watched this one with the girls Friday night. As mentioned below, I'd just read the book a couple of weeks ago and was looking forward to the movie but was unsure of how they'd translate some things. Well, it turns out they just changed about 75% of the content. I did like most of it. It took a minute to get into, for me, because I was a little dismayed at the almost complete change of the beginning of the story. All of the characters were expanded, some were created for the movie, and some who appeared in the book were eliminated entirely (which meant restructuring major portions of the story). Captain Shakespeare is almost completely an invention of the movie (there is a pirate on a flying ship but that's about as much info as we get in the book) but I loved that character--very funny. But the movie short-changed the story of the Stromhold princes. There was much more competition between Septimus and Primus in the book and I missed that in the movie. The movie did add in the showdown I thought the book needed as well as the interaction between the non-main characters that was missing. I'm not sure which ending I like better, though. The movie's is happier but the book's seemed sweeter and more poignant . . .

No comments: