Monday, August 27, 2007

Judgment at Nuremburg (t)

3.5 stars
Vomit scenes: 0

So, first of all let me register my outrage that this movie isn't in the 1001 book. Not only is it quite good and Oscar-lauded, it's in black and white! It has Spencer Tracy! It's about Nazis! Throw me a bone, 1001 book! Anyway, this is a quite compelling little courtroom drama that is perfectly paced despite its 186-minute running time. It's like the Munich before Munich, in that it doesn't give you any easy answers to the ethical and moral dilemmas raised by prosecuting civil servants under the Third Reich. I mean, they give the best speech of the movie to the Minister of Justice under Hitler. Spencer Tracy (playing The Decent Man) looks appropriately Entish and weathered, and Maximilian Scheall (sp?) is really great and disturbingly hot as the Nazis' defense lawyer. Definitely worth a watch, especially if you're a ST fan, but don't plan to knock out Cool Hand Luke on the same night. I was emotionally exhausted by the end of it.

2 comments:

natalie.leppard said...

Yeah. This and Cool Hand Luke would have you in a bad place. I'll put it on my "not in the goddamned book but should be" list of movies to watch. Hmmm. I should make that list . . . .

tracy said...

That can be a sequel to our blog book (blook?)!!