Monday, June 28, 2010

A Single Man (2009)

I watched this one on the plane back from the east coast for a few reasons. First, I'd heard it was good and love Colin Firth and Julianne Moore. Second, the woman beside me wouldn't stop talking to me. Third, the children on the plane were out. of. control.

A Single Man is VERY Tom Ford. I don't know the man, don't know much about him personally, and don't even know if he's made any other films but this one just oooooooozes Tom Ford.

Firth is wonderful as George, a Brit who has just lost his long time partner and is struggling to find his way in a homophobic 1962 LA. Moore is gorgeous as usual and really seems to settle into the desperate Charley, George's perpetually dumped lifelong friend. The film is also an interestingly honest look at an English prof. (George). The end, however. I don't dislike it per se but Jesus.

No comments: