Monday, June 28, 2010

An Education (2009)

T. was nice enough to take this out of the already-sealed Netflix envelope so I could watch it while at her house--she's nice like that ;)

I'd heard mixed reviews about this one--from "brilliant!" to "too creepy to watch." So, of course, I was intrigued but I am always slightly cautious about hyped movies. This one lived up to it's hype. I loved Carey Mulligan (in a way that I fear she will always be this character in my mind) and Peter Sarsgaard was appropriately, quietly creepy. Alfred Molina and Olivia Williams were other high notes in the acting department. The costuming was super fun--but, I could easily find myself wearing those clothes if I has enough initiative to "dress" everyday.

The plot itself managed to unfurl in a way that made it not so much predictable or obvious but in an "of course" way--as if we were Jenny coming not only into the realization that we'd engaged ourselves to a creepy lying thief but also coming into womanhood.

Looking on imdb to double check the year just now, I see that Lynne Barber is the author of the autobiography that Nick Hornby adapted. Barber is a British journalist with a host of traditional publications under her belt but . . . she wrote for Penthouse for 7 years and wrote a book titled How to Improve Your Man in Bed. So, we get a peek into the grown-up Jenny's life. Cheeky ;)

No comments: