Sunday, June 27, 2010

Alice in Wonderland (2010)

To be a "new" Alice, this one felt remarkably traditional to me--not that that's a bad thing. J. and I saw it at Disney's El Capitan so we were treated to large painted roses in the balcony and a musical intro complete with tissue rose petal confetti --but that's about it which is kind of disappointing for El Capitan and their decorating capabilities. Regardless, the movie was largely enjoyable. I'm a huge Johnny fan (who in her right mind isn't?) and I love when he just dives in wholeheartedly and becomes a character. That said, there were lines that went completely over my head because I couldn't understand his accent/lisp/quick delivery. Everyone else was good but none perhaps remarkable. I liked Anne Hathaway's Queen but I also liked Enchanted. What I didn't like was the end--you'll notice a trend here, readers, in that I frequently have problems with endings. The end frame felt forced and too hoo-rah-wo-man! But, I'll forgive it that I suppose. This was not Burton's crowning glory--nor any of the other actors' (especially with Bonham Carter and Depp having been in the much much better Sweeney Todd with Burton's direction recently)--but it was a good enough movie. And, being at El Capitan, we got to see some of the props and costumes in the basement of the theatre which is always cool.

No comments: