Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fame (2009)

I'm a sucker for dance movies. Most of them are bad. Most of them have the same plot. Same characters. Etc. All of that is ok with me. Because I love dance movies. I'll excuse them almost anything really.

ALMOST anything. What I can't excuse? Little to no dancing. I'm not going to compare this remake to the original because I'm not sure I've ever seen it and if I did it was over 20 years ago. But I can and will compare it to the genre. This film lacked dancing in general but also lacked the minimum requirement of character development, lacked interesting music, lacked dynamic performances (from dancers, singers, actors . . . even the seasoned actors playing teachers). Even in the realm of bad movies, this one is inexcusable. The flimsy love story is thinner than the pop tartlette of the week's sheer knickers. The professional growth story is beyond irony. And the coming into one's talent and owning one's identity story is worse than stereotypical and damned close to demeaning.

I was left with a strong desire for the mailperson to take away the disc immediately and bring me Center Stage.

No comments: