Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Secret of Kells (2009)

I *REALLY* want to call this movie The Book of Kells. If you don't know why--Google people!

J and I saw this at a new-to-us theatre so that was interesting. Also interesting was the audience member who had to be called out so she'd be quiet--she was especially vocal during the Babies preview. Luckily, she shut up once told to.

I don't know how much this will make sense to anyone who isn't in her/his early thirties or anyone who didn't watch a lot of cartoon movies on tv in the 80s and 90s but Secret of Kells felt like a tv cartoon movie to me. And I can't quite expand on that. It's not Pixar or Disney or any other contemporary animated movie making look.

The animation is beautiful and simple and sweet as is the story. I loved the incorporation of the images from the Book of Kells and only wish those intricacies had been used more. Of course, the whole thing made me wish I could go back to Ireland asap. Worth seeing but expect a quiet movie instead of a flashy one.

No comments: