Monday, June 28, 2010

Religulous (2008)

Sort of full disclosure: I recognized the opening scenes as somewhere near Raleigh, NC before the location was identified. You see, I grew up in North Carolina, went to undergrad and my MA program in the Triangle area, and went for my PhD in SC. Religiously--frightening.

Anyway, I agree with Maher on a lot of things regarding religion but I don't agree with his approach. In terms of religion, I'm more of a let it lie sort of girl (as long as you're not trying to preach to or convert me or belittle my opinions) whereas Maher thrives on stirring the pot.

The film jumps shark at the exact point Maher starts to talk about Islam. He's never professed tolerance of any sort really but his intolerance here is staggeringly close to ignorance. I'm a lover of snark but snark is not going to reform the world and it certainly won't rid the world of ancient religion.

No comments: