Monday, June 30, 2008

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

I don't know how I missed this one. I like the people in it. I like the premise. I've owned the soundtrack since the movie came out. But somehow I didn't see it until now.

I liked it very much. I caught bits and pieces of the Odyssey narrative but would like to re-read (or at least review the plot) of the Homer and then re-watch the film.

But, even without the Odyssey template, the movie is fun if maybe a tad predictable (especially concerning the treasure). That predictability doesn't make it any less enjoyable--if anything you can enjoy the movie more because you're not constantly trying to figure out what's going on and what might happen next. And, regardless of any of that, the film is a clever retelling of the Odyssey.

Anyway, I liked it a lot and will re-watch it soon (maybe even teach it if I get the chance) and I'll dig up the soundtrack if I can figure out which box it's in at the moment.

No comments: