Sunday, June 8, 2008

As You Like It (2006)

This is the film I meant to get when I put Twelfth Night on the Netflix queue. I have something of a weakness for Kenneth Branagh Shakespeare movies. They're always wonderful and pretty and have superb actors.

Branagh picked up As You Like It from wherever it was originally set (this is one I have not read) and put it down in the middle of Japan, which made for pretty sets and very beautiful kimono costuming (or your average late 19th C dress with pretty kimono fabric and origami inspired folds as accents). Very pretty. Anyway, I'm not going to go into the details of the plot because Branagh always uses the original language and follows the plot almost exactly and, since I haven't read this one, I don't know if, how, or why he deviated. All of the actors are wonderful: Bryce Dallas Howard as Rosalind, Kevin Kline as Jacques, and Alfred Molina as Touchstone were my favorites. It was a tad slow and the epilogue is a bit odd but overall worth watching.

No comments: