Monday, May 5, 2008

The Piano Teacher (2001)

Oh. My. God. I'm really not sure what to say about this one.

It's based on a novel by Nobel laureate Elfriede Jelinek. It won Best Actor, Best Actress, and Grand Prize of the Jury at Cannes along with eight other awards internationally and was nominated for fifteen other awards. I'm not sure why. Yes, it was well-acted. Yes, it was just fine in terms of cinematography, I suppose. Yes, it seemed well-written. But, my god. I can't even really say what's eliciting that response because it would give away aspects of the plot that really should be revealed while watching if this one is to be watched. I'll say there is a vomit scene and that's really one of the least disturbing things in the film. Just when you think, jesus fuck this is screwed up, the film adds another layer and then another layer. And they linger on each layer longer than is really comfortable. And then the ending . . .

I don't know if anyone should or shouldn't see this one. I just don't know what to do with it exactly. I'm toying with the idea of reading the book but there are several others lined up in the queue and Jelinek isn't exactly on my American prize winners list . . .

No comments: