Saturday, May 31, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

I went in with minimal expectations. I love Harrison Ford but didn't want his cavorting like he was 20 and I didn't want old man jokes the whole time either. Luckily neither seemed to happen. He acted like a man of his age (well, Indiana Jones at that age, anyway). I don't have a problem with Shia Lebeouf. I don't love him but I don't dislike him either. He was fine although sort of a caricature of a Marlon Brando wannabe. I do love Cate Blanchett and wish she'd been a little more something in her role. It worked but it wasn't her usual genius. The other actors worked out just fine.

I didn't quite get the supposed double agent. I thought him a bit useless and Indy a bit gullible to believe him. I also thought the whole, leave a blinking red light every now and then so the Russians can follow you thing a bit trite. The technology for that thing to send a signal was there, why not use that rather than rely upon the light? And why, if he wasn't so interested in helping the Russians as himself, would he even bother continuing to leave the blinky lights? And then the end of him? He's ok? What?

And what happened to the feds being after Indy? They don't just drop that in the Cold War.

I'm also not 100% ok with the alien aspect and the "space between" rather than outer space.

And the ants? Really?! We had roaches and other creepy crawlies already in the saga, can't we just avoid insects? But, I did love the snake as rope segment.

And I liked the monkeys helping out even if it is very very cheesy and obviously CGI.

Overall it was enjoyable. I don't think I need to see it again but I'd watch another Indy sequel. Meanwhile, if they decide to do a Shia Lebeouf as main character Indy spin-off I will vanquish it to the land of Star Wars sequels and pretend it doesn't exist.

No comments: