Monday, October 29, 2007

Dirty Pretty Things (2002) (nat)

I'd seen this one before but Joel and I bought it while waiting to eat at Cheesecake last night--he hadn't seen it and I like it a lot. It's about Okwe (Chiwetel Ejiofor) and Senay (Audrey Tautou) who are illegal immigrants in England, him from Lagos, she from Turkey. They both work in a hotel when some strange things start to come to the surface. Okwe finds a human heart lodged in a toilet and then things start to unravel. Senay is pursued by the immigration authorities and falls in love with the emotionally closed Okwe. The movie was in the "thriller and horror" section of the DVDs but I wouldn't really classify it as either. It's a tad suspenseful and definitely dark but not a thriller or a horror movie in my book--just a drama with a macabre tinge to it. Anyway, it's very good and Ejiofor won all sorts of awards for his acting in it. Definitely worth a watch.

No comments: