Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) (nat)

Woo. hoo. I'm up to 190. Right. So only 10 more and I'll be 20% through the list. This takes a long time, especially when I'm not so much falling in love with any of the movies.

I did not especially care for this one but I was also dealing with a clingy drugged cat, a dog jealous that the clingy drugged cat was touching me, and my dad calling (with a reason at first but then just to chat). It's a noir about a gem heist gone wrong, really wrong. There are a bunch of players including a con-man recently released from jail who coordinates the heist, a few two-bit crooks, cops on the take, a double-crossing bankrupt rich guy who is supposed to bankroll the participation of said two-bit crooks, a private eye with his own ideas, and the police commissioner trying to partially domesticate, if not completely tame, the jungle. None of the actors are names that I know with the exception of Marilyn Monroe in a bit part (which makes it further amusing that she's on all of the posters). There isn't anything really wrong with the movie necessarily but it didn't hold my attention well enough for me to ignore the cat/dog/dad distractions (which I would have been capable of doing for a captivating movie).

No comments: