Sunday, April 6, 2008

Leatherheads (2008)

Ugh. I really cannot stand Renee Zellweger. I am certain that her face got wider at the jaw as the film went on and her knees are the strangest looking knees I've seen, especially when in red tights. I am, however, a huge fan of Tracey Ullman who does a fantastic impersonation of Zellweger on her new show, "State of the Union." (If you Google the show, the official website has a little clip of her doing the impression).

Regardless of her, the movie wasn't all that great. But how could it be when the two main male characters are supposed to be completely and immediately enamored with squinty-eyes? That's not one bit realistic or probable. I am a fan of Clooney, of course, and John Krasinski even won me over here--although I still think he looks goofy on "The Office." If they'd just stuck with the football and the George/John interactions I would have liked it better. But they absolutely needed to find a better woman to play Zellweger's role. Apparently Reese Witherspoon was mentioned as a better option . . . I think Cate Blanchett would have been good, hell maybe even Sarah Jessica Parker (she looks fun and snarky in the Smart People previews), or why not someone like Amy Poehler or Tina Fey who are actual comediannes? Or Julia Louis-Dreyfus? Or Amy Adams? Or Christina Appelgate? Or . . . . . anyone but Renee Zellweger!

No comments: