Saturday, March 1, 2008

Be Kind, Rewind (2008)

I want Mos Def to be my friend. Is that really too much to ask?

This movie isn't brilliant. It won't blow your mind or make you laugh uncontrollably. But it also won't make you want to poke your eyes out and then hide under the bed with the dust bunnies because you can no longer bear people because you're seeing ANOTHER misanthropic Oscar worthy movie--just hypothetically, there are no dust bunnies under the bed (monsters, more likely).

Anyway, it's actually a cute movie. The "sweded" films are funny and some are clever. Jack Black is, well, Jack Black (his "camouflage" idea is probably one of the best things about the movie). And Mos Def and Danny Glover are fun, too. I think, though, that the previews don't really do the film much justice because, while the "sweded" films are important to the plot, they're sort of a jumping off point for a much better story about the mass-market brothel film-making has become and a sweet small-town story.

There are problems. Some of the pacing is a little slow and then there's the ending. I know I'm the naysayer of all endings, but, really, I just want every movie to have one (at least). I'm not a fan of this en vogue no ending ending. Tie up your loose ends people!

So, in this Oscar dump season, it's worth a watch just to get to go to the theater again.

No comments: