Sunday, February 10, 2008

In Bruges (2008) (nat)

I'm finicky about my comedy. I adore black comedy but normally hate stupid comedy. I don't particularly like stand-up and have trouble when parodies cross the line into a dramatic tone. All that to say, I'm not sure about In Bruges.

The very basic plot is that Ray (Colin Farrell) and Ken (Brendan Gleeson) are sent to Bruges, Belguim by their boss, Harry (Ralph Fiennes), after a hit has gone wrong for Ray. A bit of a spoiler (but not really): the hit went wrong because Ray accidentally kills a child when he kills the priest he was sent to kill. I can't really reconcile killing a child who was praying because he was bad at math and moody with comedy. It doesn't quite work for me.

If you can put that aside, the movie does actually work--the only trouble was what I imposed upon it--and is funny with actually very good performances from Farrell, Gleeson, and Fiennes.

No comments: