Sunday, December 30, 2007

Once (2006) (nat)

I watched this one last night while Joel was being an invalid on the couch. He'd said before that he didn't want to see it especially but when I went to watch it he commented that he'd read good reviews and then (he came in the bedroom while I was watching) commented after I was finished watching it that he'd liked the music and wanted to watch it so if I could keep it instead of sending it back . . . . .

All that to say, it's a good movie with a good soundtrack--which is very important since the film is about music. I also like that imdb lists the main characters as "Guy" and "Girl." So, plot rundown is that the "Guy" is a singer/songwriter/guitarist and plays in Dublin's streets (what looks like Grafton Street--a shopping district with pedestrian streets--to me) after working in his father's hoover repair shop during part of the day. By day he plays covers but by night he plays his original songs which is what attracts "Girl" to stop and talk to him. She's a bit nosy--asking about why the guy wrote the song and about the ex-girlfriend that inspired it--and makes a plan to bring by her vacuum cleaner for him to fix the next day. They become friends with undertones of romance.

Anyway, I like the music--especially that first song they sing together in the music shop and I think the plot is cute and romantic while being realistic.

No comments: