Sunday, December 9, 2007

Atonement (2007) (nat)

Well. This was not as good as expected. I think because it's getting soooooooo much hype that I just expected brilliance. Instead it's mediocre with flashes of good and one of the worst endings I've ever experienced. Literally, with one camera shot the movie was ruined for me. I haven't read the book yet--I'll probably trot my butt across the street tomorrow to get myself a copy--but if it ends like the movie does, I hope it's handled much much better. There are very pretty scenes, very pretty shots, funny moments, the love story is touching and poignant and heartbreaking and I was on board all the way until about five minutes before the movie ended when it just shattered for me. I was taken all the way out of the movie and felt cheated. Really cheated out of the whole experience.

Joel has a whole rant, it went something like this:
J (as we're leaving the theater): So what did you think about the movie?
N: I liked it until the end. I think the end ruined it.
J [in a stern but not overly loud voice]: UNDERACHIEVING. SELF-DELUDED. AND. MANIPULATIVE. UNDERACHIEVING. SELF-DELUDED. AND. MANIPULATIVE. UNDERACHIEVING. SELF-DELUDED. AND. MANIPULATIVE.
Throw in trite, silly, ridiculous, the sort of movie I'd want to write until they fucked it up with the end, etc. and you have the rant that lasted from the movie theater to the grocery store across the street and over the length of a strip mall. It had a brief reprisal as we left the grocery store and then again when I just yelled downstairs to ask him his exact words.

I'd be interested what you think, Tracy, since you read the book first and loved it.

No comments: