Friday, November 23, 2007

The Birds (1963), Psycho (1960), and Torn Curtain (1966)

Nope. I'd never seen The Birds or Psycho. I should have never seen The Birds. That was not a good idea given my already firmly planted fear of birds. It certainly did not endear birds to me. I just sat there wide-eyed all by myself, freaking out every time I heard a little creak outside. Psycho I liked just fine. I'm not in love with it but I liked it (I was impressed with the no-gratuitous-nudity and no-flesh-wounds shower/ murder scene).

The same goes for Torn Curtain (even with Paul Newman starring--another point for the Paul Newman shows his bare chest in every movie poll). It's a Cold War era film with Cold War era politics as physicist Newman (right--this I didn't really believe even considering my love for the man) "defects" to East Germany in order to uncover the secret he needs to finish his nuclear bomb diffusing/deflecting/eliminating/or some nonsense thingamajig. Julie Andrews is engaged to him (that's something I didn't really want to see--Julie Andrews in bed with Paul Newman, or anyone really) and follows him to find out why he's going behind the Iron Curtain. Intrigue (sort-of) and suspense (sort-of) and narrow escapes (sort-of) ensue. I'd watch it again on TV but I wouldn't seek it out.

No comments: