Monday, August 16, 2010

The Other Guys (2010)

I loved loved loved the previews for this movie. Loved.

Overall, the movie as a whole was funny enough but certainly not as funny as the preview. There are fantastic moments that I can't exactly post here without spoiler alerts and, well, I just don't feel like that today. But those fantastic moments are sometimes whacked over the head with the campy overacting and repetition of jokes that might be funny one time (or fifteen hundred because they're in the preview) but don't actually work to gel the movie in their repetition. What worked for this movie were the one-off moments and jokes and, luckily, there are just enough of those to get you through with a satisfying movie experience.

But, I'll also add the point that I'm not an Adam McKay et al. fan. I liked Talladega Nights (mainly because it was about most of the people I went to high school with--seriously, it was filmed within a half hour of my parents' home) but I did not like Anchorman and would have had to be bound and gagged to see Step Brothers. So, the humor may be lost on me.

No comments: