Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"Vikings" from The Surf Guru by Doug Dorst

Sigh. The one bad story one good one bad one good roller coaster is getting a little tiresome but at least "Vikings" is going in the good column.

This one, again, reads true. Dorst isn't trying on a foreign narrative voice--and I mean that in most senses of the word "foreign"--and he isn't trying out a formatting contrivance. When he just writes, he does it well. Again, I was allowed to mingle with these characters; I was allowed to read without being tossed out of the narrative. Because of that I was allowed to feel something at the end. That is the point, after all.

I am curious, though, if Dorst knows the star closing pitcher for the Yankees is nicknamed "Mo." FYI: We're a Yankees household with our littlest cat named "Mo" for same said pitcher.

No comments: