Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Paths of Glory (1957)

Damn the list. This is my 222nd movie from the list. I think that almost doubles what I had to begin with--a good amount for a year, I think (especially when I've seen loads of other movies). The list comes up with some great movies but, my god, some of them are just boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. I get the higher ideals of this one--war is run by men who don't actually participate in war creating a dichotomy that sacrifices the men actually fighting--but it's not interesting and it creates a false moral dilemma. Yes, the men who run the war are corrupt and selfish and stupid in many senses but the men who fight the war are no more equipped to run the war. Robert Osborne proffered that if everyone saw this film, no one would ever wage war again. That's just nonsense. It's simply not that simple and the men who wage the wars wouldn't think themselves represented in the film. They would only see corrupt versions of themselves instead of accurate portrayals and, in some cases, they would be right. Anyway, don't bother with it unless you find yourself trying to complete some list.

No comments: