Monday, August 18, 2008

Windows on the World by Frederic Beigbeder (2005)

Oh. My. God. I read a lot of books that should be offensive to me. A lot of male authors who are not female reader friendly. A lot of postmodern authors who are simply not reader friendly. I watch a lot of movies that should offend me. I say things that offend other people. But I have never in my life been more offended by a book than I was by the 40 some off pages of this one I choked down in two sittings. I'm not so hurrah! America that I can't take the criticism of the country and I've read a LOT of 9/11 literature but I was really appalled that this author took the route he did in telling the story.

The book is told by two narrators, an American with two kids who are in the Windows on the World restaurant on the morning of 9/11 (they will die) and a French guy sitting in a mini-skyscraper in Paris musing that he's at the French equivalent of Ground Zero----uh, not so much considering that building is STILL STANDING! The author, who is French, tries so damned hard to prove he likes America in a "I have an American friend" sort of way. He uses an entire page to list his favorite film makers, authors, and musicians all of whom are American (and male, by the way). There is really atrocious dialogue. At one point he wonders who might have worked in the WotW restaurant and decides they must have employed "the blacks." Right.

I could go on and on and on about the few pages I read but it's just making me angry about it all over again and I might have to write an article about this atrocity so I need to remain calm and carry on.

No comments: