Saturday, July 26, 2008

Looking for Kitty (2004)

It was on tv. I'd confused Edward Burns for Edward Norton. It was terrible.

I like Ed Burns just fine (although I like Norton better) but I am not a fan of his "ode to New York" movies. She's the One is cute and quirky enough and he should have stopped there (and I really only like that one as much as I do because Tom Petty did the entire soundtrack)--of course that would have stopped him just two movies into his career but whatever. I'm all for New York. I liked it a lot when I visited it twice. I like the idea of it. I get that New Yorkers have a deep deep love for New York in the same way Texans love Texas and South Carolinians put that damned Palmetto tree on everything. I get it. I don't need a movie in which awkward lines about the architecture are inserted. I see that the little old guy didn't sell out and that the big glass mega structure had to be built around the historic one. I see that. I don't need the lecture in the middle of a supposed detective story.

Oh, right, so the basic idea is that Burns is a down on his luck private eye (maybe formerly of the NYPD but we don't know for certain) who is given the case of a very Mario Brother looking David Krumholtz who is looking for his wife (the titular Kitty) who left her husband six months ago after asking for a divorce and is now shacked up with a rock star named Ron Stewart (right, Ron, not Rod). Burns's wife is dead but we don't know for how long and he's lonely and Krumholtz is lonely and they make friends. So then Burns talks Krumholtz into the idea that the woman is just not good enough for him because she's not interested in his all-consuming baseball passion. And then Krumholtz leaves New York without his wife who Burns then meets and chastises without actually doing so.

It's just bland and not so very interesting and not even a great love letter to New York.

No comments: