Sunday, January 20, 2008

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007) (nat)

We saw this in the smallest non-Nickelodeon theater I've ever been in. Really. There were maybe 10-15 people in the theater and it felt a little crowded. So that was a surprise.

I don't know that I ever needed to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman having sex. Ever. He was quite good, though. It's really amazing the scale of smarmy-ness that he can achieve. Capote wasn't smarmy at all, Charlie Wilson's War was a little smarmy, and here, well, he's just about as smarmy as I've ever seen him.

I also love Marissa Tomei. I wish she were in more movies with larger parts. And I wish we saw a little more of her here (although I know the movie was about the brothers and father, blah blah blah. I just like her.) Ethan Hawke was great as well. The scene where Hoffman tells him what store they are going to rob and Hawke's face goes all smushy is really quite good. And Albert Finney, of course, is wonderful.

AND. This is one non-linear film that worked. Why? I think maybe because while there was a non-linear quality, the film took the time to develop the characters AND pay attention to leaving only the smallest plot holes. It can be done.

But. I think the end was a little easy. A little Million Dollar Baby. It worked and it's ok but I think there is something better that could have been done. And we still have loose ends to clean up--what happens with Hawke is the big question I have.

No comments: